No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Support

Send Midi note?

By Martin Pavey @Martin_Pavey
    2019-10-23 13:27:35.496Z

Hi there,
    Is it possible to program a shortcut to send a midi note command?
    So you could have like a little vitual keyboard on a StreamDeck for example.
    Thanks

• 5 replies
    1. Hi @Martin_Pavey

You can send raw midi data via the sf.midi.send command, so you could send a note on on channel 1 like this:

sf.midi.send({
          outputNum: 1,
          midiBytes: [0x90, 36, 100]
      });

However, currently it's not possible to register key-up events in SoundFlow. So you'd have a problem with sending note off messages.

1. Chip Sloan @ChipSloan
          2020-09-02 17:16:57.535Z

Okay, here's an interesting idea. I do this with an arduino board plus a hardware button but wonder if we could do it with Java. Can this script be altered to send one note if held down and a different note if tapped, maybe with a settable .5 second time etc. Is that possible?

1. Hi Chip,

When you say held down what are you referring to here - with which type of input would you trigger this?

1. CChip Sloan @Chip_Sloan
                2020-09-07 17:39:44.968Z

Hi Christian,

I should have been more specific. What I want to do is use a steam deck button to send a midi note. One note when tapped quickly, and a second note for when held down. Basically to build a talkback button with 2 functions.

1. Ah, gotcha. Unfortunately, SoundFlow doesn't currently allow you to react differently to a short or a long press on a Stream Deck button - so you'd need to have 2 separate buttons for now.