No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Support

RS 232

By Ray Fabi @Ray_Fabi
    2019-12-06 21:14:20.306Z

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to create an RS232 remote with an Elgato Stream Deck or similar type hardware. My needs are controlling an 8x8 4K HDMI Matrix and being on a Mac, it's not easy getting it done. Thank you

• 5 replies
    1. Hi Ray

That's a very interesting question. You could certainly use SoundFlow as part of the equation, running more complex bash scripts etc from SoundFlow and connecting to the Stream Deck from SoundFlow.

Are you saying you have a Mac with an RS232 inferface? How is this interface attached to the computer? Is it a custom PCIe card?

1. I would probably try to write a small Node.js script (independent of SF) with something like this:
        https://serialport.io/

Then when that's working, I would hook it all up inside SoundFlow (stream deck connection etc.)

1. RRay Fabi @Ray_Fabi
            2019-12-07 16:14:25.574Z

Hi Christian, I guess I'll have to speak to a programmer. I don't know about your suggestion to figure out what the possibilities are. As I mentioned above, I'd like to control an HDMI matrix, which has RS232 (DB9) and TCP/IP (RJ45) connectors so I can assign the inputs and outputs remotely. Control room is 20 feet from working position. My computers are all Apple's, so no RS232 connectors. A possibility is to use a USB to RS232 adapter, to convert commands from Mac to RS232, but have no idea how to do that. I thought that with the Stream Deck, there might be a solution...Thank you

1. If it has TCP/IP functionality that would be the preferred way to connect. I would choose that over RS232 any day. Then it's about understanding the protocol.
              I'm sure there are some specs available for the unit. Can you find those and quote here? Devices with ethernet connections can be fairly easy to connect to, if their API is straightforward

• In reply tochrscheuer:
            RRay Fabi @Ray_Fabi
              2019-12-07 15:44:29.877Z

Hi, the idea is to control an HDMI matrix, which has RS232 (DB9) and TCP/IP (RJ45) connectors so I can assign the inputs and outputs remotely. Control room is 20 feet from working position. My computers are all Apple's, so no RS232 connectors. Of course I can use a USB to RS232 adapter, to convert commands from Mac to RS232, but have no idea how to do that. I thought that with the Stream Deck, there might be a way...