No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Support

"The custom action “SoundFlow” contains some preconfigured profiles." constantly popping up

By Jon Shamieh @Jon_Shamieh
    2019-12-26 19:51:49.014Z

Hi, recently I've been getting "The custom action “SoundFlow” contains some preconfigured profiles." constantly popping up when I switch to Pro Tools.

I've just started configuring my Decks in SF instead of SD - have the Application Trigger in Activate on my SF Deck and in SD I've duplicated the SoundFlow Full Screen Profile, renamed it and set it's Application as Pro Tools as well.
    Perhaps I'm setting that up wrong?

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 16 replies
    1. Hi Jon.

Yes that's wrong. The correct setup in Stream Deck when using SoundFlow decks is:

• Have exactly one SoundFlow Full Screen profile on each device.
      • No profiles in Stream Deck should have assigned applications and there should be no default profile. This includes the SoundFlow Full Screen profiles - you shouldn't assign them to anything inside SD.

Note: These are limitations to the way the Stream Deck application is designed, not limitations in SoundFlow. We have asked Elgato for a simpler integration workflow and I'm told they're working on it, but currently this is how it needs to be set up.

The easiest way to get to the correct installation state is to uninstall the SoundFlow plugin from Stream Deck and then reinstall it. You might want to start by manually removing the profiles you've renamed etc. first.

Note that due to this complexity (which we cannot control, it's how Stream Deck designed their plugins) it doesn't always work well with having other decks designed inside Stream Deck. We recommend you change all decks to SoundFlow designed ones, since that will give you the most flexibility and features all in all.

ReplySolution
      1. There should be some more background info in this article:
        https://soundflow.org/docs/how-to/stream-deck/setting-up

1. If you encounter any issues after following these steps, and you have verified there's exactly one SF profile per device you may need to restart SF and SD.
          As you already know, the way to get decks showing is then to use "Show Deck", Application Triggers, other types of triggers, or to call the "Show Deck on Device" action from a macro.

1. JJon Shamieh @Jon_Shamieh
              2019-12-26 20:16:44.710Z

Gotcha. My biggest issue now is porting my Default / Finder SD Profile into SF.

Pease let me know if any of this is incorrect:

• There is no way to import an SD Profile to SF Deck
              • There is no Default Profile equivalent in SF Decks
              • There is no “Open Application” command that will let me point to an Application and take it’s icon like SD workflow in SF
              1. This is all mostly correct.

Wrt #1 - yes this is not possible.

Wrt #2 - I usually use an Application Trigger for Finder and then Cmd+Tab to that. I also have 2 Stream Decks where one is has a "Master" deck that never changes, and then my other Stream Deck is the contextual one that changes depending on situation/app/window/workflow.

Wrt #3
                You can create a macro and use the action "Launch Application" or for example the action "Open File". You'll have to manually assign the icon to that macro though.

1. In terms of designing icons I use Sketch to design them in. This also means for each app that I'm creating a button for, I can overlay the icon with text or have different backgrounds as well. So while it's a couple of more steps vs designing it in Stream Deck, I feel like the added flexibility down the road makes up for it.
                  Not saying that it wouldn't be nice to have a few shortcuts ;)

2019-12-26 20:38:42.554Z

Understood. I really love the ease and quick set up of pointing the SD Profile to an application and it taking the icon.

So the more expensive, but easier solutuion for me would be two Stream Decks. One running the SD software just Finder stuff and one running my SF Decks since I shouldn't be using a combo of SD Profiles and SF Decks on one unit - correct?

1. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in our testing team who uses it that way. Due to the extreme complexity in dealing with the Stream Deck plugin API (read: all the subtle bugs or inconsistensies in SD), it may or may not work to do it the way you suggest.

The only two well supported solutions are to run either everything in SF or everything in SD.
                        How many apps are we talking about that you need to set up?

1. By working across the two softwares you'll lose the SF specific functionality such as:

• Dynamic Decks where the content of the deck is populated by a script.
                          • Controlling a device from a script or macro to statically show decks.
                          • All your settings stored in one place with your cloud account (meaning it'll work on any computer that has SoundFlow, no need to copy, import and export profiles)
                          • And all other future Deck-related features that we'll build in SF.
                              2019-12-26 21:01:16.775Z

And understood about the SF specific functionality, it's SF all the way at this point for me, just didn't realize how much set up this would be creating Launch Application commands for each Application I'll need.

Do you ever see a way SF could emulate the SD workflow? Like, if there was a way to click an empty button on a Deck, and point it to an Application I wanted to launch or a folder path I wanted to open... even if I had to copy/paste icons from Applications into SF that would help a lot.

1. Haha I was just thinking about the same thing. Yes I definitely see that we could do something like that.

1. I think you can speed it up a slight bit by creating all the commands first, and then assign buttons after.
                                  Also make sure you assign icons to the macros, not the buttons (not sure if you knew this already).

Each command (that is a macro or a script, and even a deck or a surface) can have an icon. You set it in the top mid of the Editor window, just to the left of the title of the command (the shadowy square). By setting the icon here, any Deck button which uses this command will automatically get the icon.

2019-12-26 22:22:26.306Z

Yes, I've been setting icons on the Macros themselves, but thank you for letting me know.

Copy/pasting from Finder Get Info or Google Image Search works fairly well I've found :)

2. In reply tochrscheuer:
                                JJon Shamieh @Jon_Shamieh
                                  2019-12-26 20:56:02.367Z

A work in progress, not close to being done – Keyboard Maestro will be gone now that I am converting to SF :) – but this is what I currently had.

1. Gotcha :) Looks neat!
                                    Yea that might take a good 20-30 minutes to convert all in all. But I really think you'll enjoy the added flexibility you'll get down the road by doing the conversion :)
                                    Please feel free to ask any other questions (likely as new threads) if you need help converting anything else.

1. Haha sorry and maybe that was too optimistic :) Maybe it'll take an hour or so.. What I meant was more that whatever time it'll take to convert, it should be a good investment down the road.