No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Packages
  3. Scheps Bounce Factory

Challenges with Schep's Bounce Factory

By Dan Geary @Dan_Geary
    2022-04-04 23:15:15.190Z

Maybe because I'm new to Soundflow, but having challenges getting Bounce factory to work correctly. After taking a snapshot of main mix, I set up 1 solo a cappella mix & 5 various mute mixes. After I let it do its thing, I discover it gave me an a cappella of the snare track. And the 5 various mute mixes ended up being the full mix 5 times. I ended up bouncing everything manually.
    I'm using a minimal Protools setup with Soundflow. I've watched all his vids a couple times. Not sure what else might need changing/adapting, etc....

• 51 replies

There are 51 replies. Estimated reading time: 17 minutes

1. Kitch Membery @Kitch2022-04-05 09:53:29.616Z

Hi @Dan_Geary,

I have moved this post to the Bounce Factory section of the forum.

For future reference, the recommended way to get help with an installed script, is to select the script, then click "Need help" and choose "Get help with this script or macro" and follow the instructions :)

This will automatically put the support entry in the right forum category for the package.

1. In reply toDan_Geary:
        Kitch Membery @Kitch2022-04-05 09:53:57.796Z
        1. In reply toDan_Geary:
          Andrew Scheps @Andrew_Scheps
            2022-04-05 10:11:13.501Z

Hi @Dan_Geary ,

What version of Bounce Factory are you running? It says at the top of the window when you have the main package selected

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                2022-04-05 10:23:39.855Z

Hi, thx for getting back so quick. I can't find the window you're showing, but I went ahead & updated to 1.0.17

• In reply toDan_Geary:
                  2022-04-05 10:12:38.708Z

When you set up the extra mix passes are you selecting the tracks or actually soloing them? It's a little weird to get used to, but you only select the tracks. The only time you would actually change the solo or mute is if you're making a Mini Snap.

If this doesn't make sense let me know

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                      2022-04-05 10:32:39.080Z

That's probably what I did wrong. I was manually soloing & muting instead of just highlighting the tracks. I'll try again.

Speaking of mini sets, I tried that without success either. I wanted to mute 2 tracks & change the playlist on another.
                      If I remember correctly, I did highlight all 3 tracks, muted 2 & changed the playlist on the 3rd. I saved the mini set & changed back to original settings. I don't remember what I ended up with, but it wasn't what I intended. In your vid, you were soloing a cappellas & changing playlists. So I'm not sure if there's a different procedure for muting tracks.
                      thx

1. Andrew Scheps @Andrew_Scheps
                          2022-04-05 10:40:00.657Z

There was a bug in the older version that would keep the playlist from switching successfully in some circumstances, so try again with the latest build. It should be working now

• In reply toAndrew_Scheps:
                          DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                            2022-04-05 10:37:51.458Z

I'm really interested in getting this to work. I typically run 8 different versions of a mix. And I hate having to babysit running stems.

The one scenario where it wouldn't seem to save time is doing 15, 30 & 60 second cutouts. Probably quicker to continue doing those manually. By the time I would finish programming everything, might be half done already doing it the old-fashioned way. Unless you can think of a more streamlined way of setting those up.
                            Thx!

2022-04-05 10:43:27.465Z

This is absolutely possible using the features I added relating to saving and loading mix passes from other snapshots. If it's the same set of tracks and solo/mute states etc, and all that's changing is either the selection in the session or the session itself, you can set up one snapshot with all of the mix passes and then either open the other session or select the new spot in the timeline you want to bounce, click Take Snapshot, and then using the buttons on the bottom of the mix pass list load from either the previous snapshot or a file you've saved on disk. All you have to change is the files names for the mix passes by double-clicking the mix passes. You'll be set up in no time!

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                    2022-04-05 11:45:30.123Z

Ok, I'll take a look at that. Maybe after I get more used to the regular mix & stem stuff, this'll be easier to wrap my head around.
                                    Thx!

2022-04-05 11:47:39.896Z

If you want me to walk you through it let me know. Also, to help get your head around how Bounce Factory Snapshot data works check out this post (Bounce Factory Important Concepts). It should help, or it will confuse you more...

1. In reply toDan_Geary:
                                            2022-04-07 11:24:53.540Z

Hi @Dan_Geary ,

Just curious if that feature worked out for you?

Thanks,
                                            Andrew

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                2022-04-07 12:36:09.771Z

Haven't had a chance to try the cut out suggestion. Did successfully finish a session doing the 8 various bounces. Worked like a charm. Wanna try the stem concept next. Then I'll try the cutouts...
                                                Many thx

1. In reply toAndrew_Scheps:
                                                  DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                    2022-04-07 20:02:33.017Z

Just had an idea: I work a lot with Vi's/software synths. It's always a bit of a chore to convert those instruments to audio. Any chance you could create a script to bounce those all to audio automatically? Some of them are instantiated in Protools. But most are hosted in Vienna Ensemble Pro. Don't know if that makes a diff in your scripting. Thx for considering it....

2022-04-07 20:11:45.454Z

I think using the Pro Tools track bounce feature would be the easiest way. I haven't tried it with VIs but I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that it would work. (Select the tracks you want to convert, right-click one of them and select Track Bounce)

• In reply toAndrew_Scheps:
                                                        DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                          2022-04-08 18:18:13.752Z

Hi, just updated 1.1.1 & now it doesn't seem to work correctly. Everything is fine til I tell it to start the actual bounces. It does its thing but gets stuck trying to import something. Happened twice in a row.

I'm attaching a snapshot...

2022-04-08 18:22:16.742Z

Hi @Dan_Geary ,

Hmmm, odd. As a quick workaround so you can get your mixes printed, if you're not using any of the snapshot data like volume etc to override how the session was saved, just solos and mutes, go into the App's Settings and Click on the header of the Main Tracks Data grid to disable it. That will skip the step altogether and then when you're done printing maybe we can troubleshoot.

Thanks,
                                                              Andrew

2022-04-08 18:46:15.815Z

And if you could run the Collect User Files script and send me the zip it makes on the Desktop I can see exactly where it's failing

2022-04-08 20:20:54.942Z

I've just published version 1.1.2 which might fix this issue. Please let me know.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                          2022-04-09 00:15:41.788Z

I'm out of town til Wed, try it then,,,

DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                              2022-04-13 13:32:15.809Z

Morn, just updated to 1.1.6. Got a script error, went away too fast for me to see what it said. How do I send you the zipped data file?

2022-04-13 13:33:42.741Z

There is a script in the Bounce Factory package call Collect User Files. Run that and send me a link to the zip file it makes on the desktop. Thanks!

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                      2022-04-13 13:57:54.281Z

I do have a zipped file, but it doesn't allow that attachment to this communication. Is there a different way to send it?

2022-04-13 14:03:08.920Z

Just put it on Dropbox or anything like that and post the link please.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                              2022-04-13 14:05:12.473Z
                                                                                                  2022-04-13 14:37:58.644Z

Hi Dan,

I can't really tell what's going wrong from the log files. Would you be able to do a quick zoom so I can see what's going on? If so email me at info@bouncefactory.net and I'll send you a link.

Thanks,
                                                                                                  Andrew

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                      2022-04-15 21:08:38.518Z

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, been doing catchup. I was gonna try Bounce again on Monday. If its still bothering, yes we can try Zoom....

DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                          2022-04-18 22:18:17.469Z

Hi, did try Bounce on a session earlier today. This time, the setup seemed to work ok. But at the end of the 1st bounce, it hung up & gave me the spinning ball of death. Don't know if crash logs would help? Also, noticing that hitting snapshot never takes me to the setup window the first time. Have to try 2 or 3 times before I get the mute/solo window. Attaching screenshot of hung bounce....

2022-04-18 22:23:46.707Z

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately the SWOD at the end of the bounce is strictly a Pro Tools crash, but the rest of it all sounds like something we can sort out. Also, is the Edit window on a different monitor? If you manually switched to the Mixer window while the bounce was happening that could definitely cause issues. The Pro Tools crash logs wouldn't help much, but if you could run the Collect User files script and send me the zip file it should at least give me an idea of why it's not starting up the snapshot correctly.

Tomorrow is no good for me but let's try and find a time Wednesday to troubleshoot (I'm on UK time).

Thanks,
                                                                                                              Andrew

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                  2022-04-18 22:39:30.537Z

yes, I do run 2 monitors. I can't remember, but I may have looked at another app running in the background while this was running. Guess you're suggesting that it needs to be front & center while its running. I'll try & generate a zip file again....

2022-04-18 22:43:27.956Z

Yeah, you have to let it run the computer while it's bouncing.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                          2022-04-20 16:48:40.075Z

Ran Bounce on a new mix this morn. Happy to report that everything seemed to work correctly this time. The only bugaboo is taking the initial snapshot. Goes thru all the motions, but no window the first try. 2nd try usually gets you to bounce window. Have no idea why....

2022-04-20 17:13:46.324Z

That's actually a problem one other person has been having, so at some point I'm hoping we can figure out exactly where it's going wrong. If I find anything out I'll let you know and we can test the fix.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                  2022-04-29 23:15:11.096Z

Been using bounce for various mixes & cut outs, seems to be working fine. Just the very first time I use snapshot, it requires a 2nd click.
                                                                                                                                  My demo has expired, but I can't figure out where to sign up. Your website has pricing info, but I can't find a 'pay' button. Some help pls...

2022-04-29 23:30:05.004Z

Hi @Dan_Geary ,

Glad it’s working for you! If you go to the settings there are buttons to buy, or just click Bounce All and it should give you a dialog.

Thanks!
                                                                                                                                      Andrew

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                          2022-04-30 11:14:19.257Z

Couldn't get app to boot up last nite. But with the update this morn, I got the options to buy when I booted this time. Should b good to go, thx

DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                              2022-05-02 14:26:41.643Z

HI, I'm trying to use Bounce this morn, but it seems to be acting in expired Pro demo mode. My account says both sound flow & basic are active. I've reached out to Christian, but maybe you might know something?
                                                                                                                                              Just to confirm, I'm using 1 snapshot with 6 different solo & mute variations. That should work for basic, correct?
                                                                                                                                              Thx

2022-05-02 14:33:03.500Z

Bounce session will definitely work. Bounce selected should if they’re all for the same session but it’s possible there’s a bug with that.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                      2022-05-02 14:38:32.679Z

Hi, just to try something, I uninstalled & reinstalled. Now it won't even boot up, getting multiple script errors....

2022-05-02 14:39:45.823Z

What kind of errors?

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                              2022-05-02 15:04:31.882Z

can't read the fine print, disappears too quickly. But at the top of about 6 of them, its says 'render failed'...

2022-05-02 15:06:04.422Z

Do you have time for a quick zoom to sort it out? Email me at info@bouncefactory.net and I’ll send a link

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                                      2022-05-02 15:12:18.245Z

have to be later, have doc app't in a few...

2022-05-02 15:13:28.641Z

Ok

1. In reply toDan_Geary:
                                                                                                                                                                              2022-05-02 16:33:18.615Z

I just uninstalled and re-installed and it opened fine here, so we should be able to get you up and running quickly. Also, the app was set up so that Bounce Session would be available on the Basic tier, but not any form of Bounce Selected if you had more than one Snapshot selected. I have fixed that in version 1.2.8 (which should be out later today or first thing tomorrow) so that if you have multiple Snapshots from the same session selected it will work on Basic.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                                                  2022-05-18 12:26:51.301Z

Hi, there seems to be something wrong with the past couple updates. After I create a mute pass, the first track of session gets highlighted. So all the mute passes I create end up being full mixes with the first track getting muted.

2022-05-18 12:31:24.818Z

Hey @Dan_Geary ,

Could you do a screen recording from taking the snapshot and then bouncing it and start a new thread in the forum with the screen recording and User Files? I know mute passes work here but there must be something about your process that’s uncovering a bug.

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                                                          2022-05-18 13:06:16.071Z

started a new thread with the screenshot. How do I get you the collected files? They don't attach to the threads...

2022-05-18 14:15:57.963Z

Just upload them anywhere and put a link in the forum post. Thanks!

1. DDan Geary @Dan_Geary
                                                                                                                                                                                                  2022-05-18 14:29:19.582Z

created new thread in package section, attached screenshot & DB link...

• S
                                                                                                                              In reply toDan_Geary:
                                                                                                                              SoundFlow Bot @soundflowbot
                                                                                                                                2022-04-07 09:42:37.042Z

Thanks for posting a question or an issue related to the 'Scheps Bounce Factory' package.
                                                                                                                                This package is made by @Andrew_Scheps. We're auto-tagging them here so that they will hopefully be able to help you.