No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Packages
  3. Scheps Bounce Factory

Updating snapshot

By Thomas Gloor @Thomas_Gloor
    2022-05-06 12:07:10.909Z

Hi,

I watched all videos regarding Bounce Factory, and am already using it. It works AMAZINGLY.

There is just one thing is still can't really wrap my head around. Updating the snap shot.

Let's say I prepped all my passes, in this case stems, but without using the BATCH feature (because of the way my sessions are laid out, etc...). I have let's say 50 mute passes ready and I then click proceed.
    I now see all 50 passes in the BF main window where I can tell it to start bouncing.

Let's say the client then ask for changes (as stated in the video). How can I update the main snapshot?

Thank you in advance for the clarification

Best

T.

• 3 replies
    1. S
      SoundFlow Bot @soundflowbot
        2022-05-06 12:07:12.698Z

Thanks for posting a question or an issue related to the 'Scheps Bounce Factory' package.
        This package is made by @Andrew_Scheps. We're auto-tagging them here so that they will hopefully be able to help you.

Please note, that the best way to get help with a script, macro or other content installed from the Store is to select the script you installed, then click the red Need help button, and then click "Get help with this script or macro".
        By using this workflow, the developer of the package will get access to more information so they'll be able to help you quicker.
        You can read more about how to best get help in this article: bit.ly/sfscripthelp

1. In reply toThomas_Gloor:
          Andrew Scheps @Andrew_Scheps
            2022-05-06 12:27:19.127Z

Hi @Thomas_Gloor ,

The idea is that you don't update the snapshot, you just update the session and make sure that the Snapshot Data Recall Filter is set such that it won't override the changes you have made.

There are a few important concepts, and once you get those this will all make sense. There are also two different ways to go about it.

The main concept to understand completely is how data is recalled from your snapshot when you bounce mixes. The short version of this is that the Session is basis for everything, and then depending on the Snapshot Recall Data Filter in the Bounce Factory settings page, you can replace session settings with the snapshot settings for whatever categories of session data you enable. Once that is done, each mix pass can override the Solo, Mute, Playlist and Auto Mode setting. There is a much more in depth discussion here: Bounce Factory Important Concepts

The next thing you have to understand is that the Snapshot is looking for a Pro Tools session with a specific name at a specific location. It has no idea whether or not you have changed the session since you took the Snapshot or not. You can change anything you want, and as long as all of the track names, buss names etc are the same, and you don't have Bounce Factory set up to recall the data from the Snapshot, it will bounce exactly as you have the session now.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, here are the two ways you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

If you have exported the mix passes from the Take Snapshot dialog or it is the last snapshot you set up, you can take a new snapshot in any session, and load all of the mix passes. This is detailed in video walkthrough 7 about features added since version 1.0. This is a very powerful feature for exactly what you are trying to do. This will only work, however, if you have the mix passes saved. If you do, all you would have to do is start the snapshot with the updated session open, load the mix passes, select them all in the mix pass list, click rename, and batch rename them with a revision number or whatever change you want to make.

If you didn't save the mix passes before clicking proceed then you will have to "trick" Bounce Factory into using the original Snapshot. The only way to do it is to make your changes in a session with the same name as the original session. The way to do this without overwriting your session would be to make a copy of the original with a new name, open the session with the original name, make your changes, bounce all of the mix passes, then rename the session and the mix passes. Unfortunately, unlike with the mix passes there is no way to batch rename mix passes once you have already taken the Snapshot, so I would just move the original files (or just bounce again, the new files will be given conflict names automatically) and then rename them in the Finder after you bounce.

The first way is much cleaner, but the second will work and you won't have to re-make the 50 mix passes.

Hope this helps,
            Andrew

1. TThomas Gloor @Thomas_Gloor
                2022-05-06 12:39:33.506Z

Hey @Andrew_Scheps
                Thank you for your answer. It makes way more sense to me now!
                I'm gonna try it out asap!

Best,

T.