No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. How to

WaveLab Pro Users

By Justin Perkins @mysteryroommastering
    2022-09-02 15:24:02.562Z2022-09-02 15:39:02.726Z

Hi,

I've been aware of SoundFlow for awhile now but I'm not currently using it. I have a lot of things programmed with my Stream Deck to do various repetitive things in WaveLab, and I have recreated them all with Keyboard Maestro for when I'm using my laptop and don't have my Stream Deck with me.

I was wondering if any other SoundFlow users are using it with WaveLab Pro, or what the possibilities may be.

One quirk of WaveLab is that while there are usually shortcuts to call up a certain dialogue window, there isn't a way to open the preset menu of that window and select a preset. But then there IS a way to select certain presets once that menu is open.

For example, in the screen shot attached here called "CD Wizard", I can press a key command to bring that window up, but I can't press a key command to open the menu that shows my 4 CD Wizard presets (by the red arrow on the right). However, once I click the button that opens that dropdown, the presets have a line under one of the letters in the preset name and pressing that key on my keyboard chooses that preset (by the red arrow on the lower left).

In the screen shot named "Plugin Chain Presets", I can press a series of key commands to open the window of preset options that you see here, but there is no way to automate the choosing of a certain preset and press OK. I have to use the mouse or keyboard to select the one I want. It would be cool if SoundFlow could target a preset of a certain name for me.

Do you think SoundFlow could be the missing link that makes things like this possible? If so, I'd probably be up for the task of making a bunch of WaveLab specific scripts to expand on what I'm already doing with Stream Deck.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

• 6 replies
    1. Justin Perkins @mysteryroommastering
        2022-09-08 12:31:52.806Z

I guess that would be a hard no then.

1. Hi Justin,

I'm sorry you weren't seeing any replies to this. Unfortunately, I'm assuming most of SoundFlow's users don't use WaveLab, so it's probably hard for them (and us) to help with this particular question.

The popup menu in question here looks to have a custom UI that is probably not possible to automate, but I wouldn't know for sure without having access to WL myself.

Generally, much of SF's power comes from doing automation on UI's instead of keyboard simulation.

Here's our two main guides on how to automate stuff in popup dialogs in Pro Tools. The first step would be to see if these methods work in Wavelab:

2022-09-21 02:08:53.347Z

Thanks. I'll watch these videos and see if I can get something going in WaveLab, but it doesn't sound or look too promising.

1. Yea I agree, unfortunately :/ Worth a try though.

• R
              Rob Knight @Rob_Knight
                2023-01-09 11:33:29.657Z

Hey Justin,

I said I would reach out on here (from Facebook)! I guess you haven't got too far with it due to the way Wavelab menus work? So I am using Wavelab mostly for audio editing but some mastering - more of that this year I suspect. As such Im just using Streamflow as a shortcut to the keyboard controls at the mo - pic attached. Very very basic. I will try and have a dig around though I expect you are way further ahead of me in that regard. Anyhow, I might publish what I have even though it's very very basic as it might be useful to someone as a starting block.

Best

Rob

2023-01-09 15:05:06.878Z

Right. I haven't gotten anywhere with SoundFlow in WaveLab as the developer made it sound like it would not be possible for SoundFlow to access the preset menu icons that would allow SoundFlow to open a window and select a preset so for now, I think Stream Deck and/or Keyboard Maestro are as good as it's going to get with WaveLab.